1. My dear Grandpa passed away early Monday morning. We knew his time here on earth was coming to a close, but it is always kind of a shock when it really happens. I had written these thoughts down last week as I had some quiet time to reflect on my grandpa. These are things I learned from him.
At Attention to Detail- I remember being a young girl and playing Pictionary with grandma and grandpa in a large group. It was grandpa’s turn to draw and his word was “bull fight”. He drew the most beautiful picture—but started drawing the grandstands of the area first—all the people sitting, finding their seats, eating popcorn and hot dogs, etc. We were screaming things like “arena” “popcorn” “crowds” . Then he moved onto the matador- beautiful detail on his suite and cape. By then the other team had won the clue, but he kept on drawing….buttons on the matador’s chest, embroidery on his shoulders, socks and shoes. Finally, as everyone was watching and enjoying his craft, at the bottom corner he drew just the bulls head and neck with pointed horns. That’s how Grandpa was—he had great attention to detail and noticed things others didn’t. He took his time to soak in the world around him and found joy in small details.
2. Bond of Trust- There is a special bond between and little girl and her grandpa. I always knew that I could trust him and that I could take my “small girl” problems to him and he would understand. When I was 12 or 13 he let me drive his pickup down the driveway at Boise Ave. He just stopped when we turned in and got out and said, “You can drive it down to the garage”. It was just he and I and relatively safe…or so we thought… until I almost ran into the ditch. My heart was racing and I was scared, but I can still remember being behind the wheel, the A&W key chain swinging on the dashboard and Grandpa’s hand quick as lightening on the wheel before we hit the ditch. I learned a lesson and never asked to drive again until I had my license….and he never asked me to drive again!
3. Make People Feel Special- As a little girl I loved “working” with Grandpa. My favorite was painting the outside of the rental house with him one day. We worked side by side and he ignored all my drips and mistakes and I felt like I was REALLY working with him. Like we were equals. We had a nice easy conversation and probably treats from the “market”. I’m sure I didn’t do as good of a job as he did, but he made me feel like I did. As a parent now sometimes I forget to let my kids do things because it is easier for me just to do them and I do it better, but I remember this lesson and the self esteem it built in me and try to have the patience to let them “work” too.
4. Beauty of Penmanship- loved getting cards and letters –had beautiful handwriting. He would send me cards for my birthday and occasional letters out of the blue. He always told me he loved me and was proud of me…no matter how old I was or what I was doing in my life at the time.
5. This picture isn’t of me, but it captures a feeling I have for Grandpa. I remember him holding my hand like that when I was little too. He had a way of making everyone feel like they were the favorite. He was tender and sweet—loved to laugh and enjoyed a good story. I only remember him getting mad once—when the boys climbed the silo—but he was so easy going and would fuss over me and take interest in the things I was doing.

3 comments:
He sounds like a wonderful man to have for your grandpa. I'm so sorry for your loss.
I'm sorry to hear you and your kids have lost another grandparent this year. You are a great writer Natalie. I could picture those stories like they were my own memories! I love the story about his drawing of the bull fighter, and your first driving lesson. Also thanks for the reminder to let my kids help!
I am so sorry. I hope everything is going OK. He sounds amazing. Cute pictures of the hiking on a Sunday afternoon.Your Kids are way too grown up.
Post a Comment