Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Nature Channel in our backyard

Last night this giant owl landed on our fence and sat there for about 2 hours. I thought it was a cat when I first looked out. The kids and I sat in the kitchen quietly and just watched him turn his head and ruffle his feathers. It was mesmerizing for them.
This is super zoomed in. We thought for a moment that Hogwarts was sending an owl to Spencer, but no luck!
This squirrel was kamikaze and tried to take on the owl. It was CRAZY. Spencer thought it looked like they were talking. I was afraid the owl was going to chomp on the squirrel and traumatize the kids, but after it got this close the squirrel went down the fence and around the owl and back up the fence on the other side. It was best show we watched all day!

4 comments:

Sister Ward said...

That is soo cool! I can't believe that squirrel didn't become owl food!

~ kietra ~ said...

Wow! What an awesome owl. Things are definately better in real life!! :)

Danae said...

Spencer wouldn't hear about Hogwarts until he was almost 11 anyway. Maybe they are just keeping an eye on Spencer. ;o)

Janell said...

That is hilarious about the squirrel. What a brave guy, but in the end the owl size and talons, and crushing beak won! So cool that you were able to capture those great pictures!