Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Slipping Through My Fingers



For New Year's the elves brought me the Mama Mia DVD. I was so excited. Travis and I had seen the musical when we were living in Des Moines and loved it. This summer, when the movie came out, Travis was already living in Denver and I was alone in Boise. Marcella and her boyfriend came and surprised me one night after work and took me to the theater to see Mama Mia. I LOVED it. It was so fun and I was singing along and enjoying the whole thing until...... the song "Slipping through my fingers" started. It was so sad and I was overwhelmed by the words and the sentiment and growing up and having kids of my own growing up. Oh, it was too much. So there I am in the movie with tears rolling down my cheeks, sobbing with Marcie's poor boyfriend looking at me wide eyed. He asked Marcie,"Is she OK, I thought she liked this movie." Marcie responds, "Oh yeah, she likes it, she's just a crier."
Which is true, I am a crier. So when we went and saw it again with my Mom I conveniently went to use the ladies room during that scene. Marcie made fun of me, but at least I didn't bawl!
SO when Travis got the DVD for me he was so excited to watch it. I was determined not to cry, not to leave the room, and be tough for that song. Well, it came on and I lasted about 2 seconds before I started just gushing. Poor Travis looked over at me and tears were running from my face down the couch. It was pathetic!!
It is a tender song and always reminds me that these times are precious and I won't ever get them back. Sometimes the days are long and my patience is thin, but when I think of Spencer and Kathryn growing up so fast it makes me cherish the time we have together. They are wonderful children and I am so honored to be their mother and love to spend time with them and make memories for us all.


Lyrics
DONNA:
Schoolbag in hand
She leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye
With an absent-minded smile
I watch her go
With a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that I'm loosing her forever
And without really entering her world
I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sleep in our eyes
Her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake
I let precious time go by
Then when she's gone
There's that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt
I can't deny
What happened to the wonderful adventures
The places I had planned for us to go
Well some of that we did
But most we didn't
And why I just don't know

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

DONNA & SOPHIE:
Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers -

DONNA:
Schoolbag in hand
She leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile

4 comments:

Anna said...

That song is sad! I understand why you cried. I feel my baby slipping through my fingers, too. It is sad! Good talking to you today. Sorry I had to go so abruptly. We'll have to chat again soon! Love you!

Sister Ward said...

That's cute, Nat. I watched "Mama Mia" for the first time with Sally the other day. It was so much fun!

Janell said...

I hate talking about this subject period, so when you were explaining what the song was about I just knew it would hit me, I couldn't even read the lyrics without tearing up so when I finally see this movie, I'll be balling like a baby too!

~ kietra ~ said...

Aww Nat! Sweet post! I'm with you and I haven't even sent one on a mission or college yet!! AH!! It goes by TOOOO fast!!