Monday, April 20, 2009

Columbine 10 years ago

Today is the 10 year anniversary of the shootings at Columbine HS. There is a lot of media coverage and commemorative speeches today. The flags in Colorado are flying at half mast. I remember hearing about it on the news when it happened, but I was in college in Idaho and relatively detached from the "real world" - I didn't watch the news as religiously as I do now. It has been a unique experience to live in Colorado now and be able to reflect on that day and what has happened to the people and school system since then. I have learned a lot and gained a deeper appreciation for the events surrounding that day.
Walking Spencer to school this morning and seeing the flag outside at half mast brought tears to my eyes for a split second. It is hard to leave your little tiny man there at school with strangers in charge of keeping him safe. BUT, as much as I'd like to wrap him in bubble wrap and keep him close to me, there is great comfort in knowing that our family can be together forever and I have to have faith and trust in Heavenly Father's plan for our family too. Spencer is a smart, happy boy and I know that everything will be OK know matter what happens. Just like the story of Job, sometimes bad things happen to good people, the key is enjoying each day you have and always looking for the good in every situation.
Hope you all can gather your loved ones close today and tell them how much you love them. Life is a beautiful gift.

2 comments:

Danae said...

I find many times that I want to wrap my kids up and keep them small and safe.

James and Jessica Ford said...

WHta the heck? You are expecting? DId I know that? Congrats Williams! We love boys. I loved your Columbine post. You made me tear up too. Wow. I am still in shock that you are 20 weeks pregnant!