Monday, December 1, 2008

Advent Calender from The Friend

Everyday I've been going to Target and drooling over these advent calenders that they have there. I wanted to do something fun for the kids. Then I found this activity in the FRIEND this month and decided that it would be better. I thought I would share it with you because it was so great.

From page 10
And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies (2 Nephi 25:26).

Tell me the stories of Jesus I love to hear,
Things I would ask him to tell me if he were here.
Scenes by the wayside, tales of the sea,
Stories of Jesus, tell them to me.
("Tell Me the Stories of Jesus," Children's Songbook, 57)

What are your favorite stories of Jesus? Do you like the story of His birth? Have you read about how He calmed the stormy sea? Did you know He healed a blind man and raised His friend Lazarus from the dead? Have you read about how He loved the children?

Stories of Jesus are found in the scriptures. Nephi, a Book of Mormon prophet, wrote, "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies" (2 Nephi 25:26). Heavenly Father commanded His prophets to testify of His Son, Jesus Christ, and keep sacred records so we can learn about Jesus.

The prophets have asked you to read the scriptures every day. During the month of December, read about Jesus's birth and the miracles He performed. Talk with your family about the precious gift of the Atonement. As you learn the stories of Jesus, you will be blessed to feel His love for you and your testimony of His gospel will grow.

Activity

Each day during December look up the scripture reference on that day's set of small scriptures on page 10 and read the stories of Jesus. Then color the set of scriptures for that day. Each day also lists a picture from the Gospel Art Picture Kit (GAK) that can accompany the story. Share your favorite stories of Jesus with your family.

Click on the image below to view an enlargement. When the image appears, click your browser's print button to print the image.

http://www.lds.org/messages/images/fr08dec10_sharing.jpg

1 comment:

Janell said...

We started this in our family too. I cut it out of the friend and laminated it and each night we take turns reading the scripture and then one of the boys holds the GAK picture then they put a little sticker on the book icon and then when we are all done, I'll peel the stickers off and use it again next year. I think it will be a fun family tradition!